Welcome! The outline below is an evolving main menu for our high school, NGSS-aligned biology curriculum.
If you’re a current user of our AP or College-level biology, you’ll find much that’s familiar. That’s because many of our AP and College-level tutorials were originally written for use with my 9th grade students. At the same time, wherever necessary, I’ve redesigned tutorials to work for 9th graders. That’s particularly true in units related to biochemistry, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, and molecular genetics.
If you’re interested in getting updates about new modules and features, please sign up below. Please be assured that I, Mr. W, will NEVER use your email address to do anything other than to email you about the materials I’m creating to help your students learn biology.
Tutorials in blue are ready for review. Student Learning Guides are red.
Please take a look and let me know what you think.
- Properties of Living Things
- Structure Determines Function
- Levels of Biological Organization
- Understanding Controlled Experiments
Life’s Chemical Building Blocks
- Basic Chemistry: atoms, molecules, chemical bonding | Basic Chemistry Student Learning Guide
- The Chemistry and Properties of Water: includes acids and bases) | Structure of Water Student Learning Guide (SLG)
- The Molecules of Life (Biochemistry) | Molecules of Life Student Learning Guide
Cells and Membranes
- Cell Structure and Function | Cell Structure and Function Student Learning Guide
- Cell Membranes | Cell Membranes SLG
Energy at the Cellular Level
- Enzymes, Energy, and Cellular Respiration | Enzyme, Energy, Cellular Respiration SLG
- Photosynthesis| Photosynthesis Student Learning Guide
DNA and Molecular Genetics
- DNA Structure and Replication | DNA Structure and Replication Student Learning Guide
- RNA, Transcription, and Translation | RNA, Transcription and Translation Student Learning Guide
- Meiosis (importance of meiosis, phases, nondisjunction and chromosomal variation) | Meiosis Student Learning Guide
- Genetics (Genes, Autosomal inheritance, blood type, sex linked genes) | Genetics Student Learning Guide)
- Adaptation, Natural Selection, and Population Genetics | Adaptation, Natural Selection, Population Genetics Student Learning Guide
- Evidence for Evolution | Evidence for Evolution Student Learning Guide
- Speciation and Extinction
- What is ecology?
- Capturing Energy: Producers, Consumers, and Trophic Levels
- Ecological Communities
- Niches and Habitats
- Species Interactions
- Keystone Species and Trophic Cascades
- Population ecology
- Population Growth
- Carrying Capacity
- Ecosystem stability, resilience, and disturbance
- Human impact upon the environment
- Social Behavior and Group Interactions
- Feedback and Homeostasis
- Viruses and Vaccines
- Genetic Engineering
- Human Population Growth